Something in the Rain ( korean : 밥 잘 사주는 예쁜 누나 ; RR : Bap Jal Sajuneun Yeppeun Nuna ; ignite. Pretty Sister Who Buys Me Food ) is a 2018 south korean television series directed by Ahn Pan-seok and starring Son Ye-jin, Jung Hae-in and Jang So-yeon. The series marks Son Ye-jin ‘s small screen rejoinder after five years. It was broadcast on JTBC every Friday and Saturday at 23:00 ( KST ) from March 30 to May 19, 2018. [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ] [ 5 ] [ 6 ] [ 7 ] It is available for streaming on Netflix, and on Disney+ in Japan starting February 2022. [ 8 ]
Reading: Something in the Rain – Wikipedia
diagram [edit ]
The series explores the relationship of two people as they go from being “ just acquaintances ” to “ a actual couple ”. Jin-ah ( Son Ye-jin ) is a district supervisory program in her 30s at the cafe franchise Coffee Bay ( an actual Korean chain ) and Joon-hee ( Jung Hae-in ) is an energizer in his early 30s at video plot developer Smilegate Entertainment. When he returns from working overseas, he reconnects with Jin-ah — who besides happens to be best friends with Joon-hee ‘s baby since childhood. The episodes give an familiar search into how they fall in love, struggle with their age differences ( considered to be Taboo in some circles ), and find the courage to go public with their relationship to everyone around them. A secondary storyline is about the struggles female employees face in the party Jin-ah where she is employed as they try to climb the bodied ladder amidst hard sexual harassment, mistreatment, discrimination, and career sabotage from their male managers. A acculturation considered to be normal but mute among south korean companies about sexism .
Themes of Taboos [edit ]
The driving narrative around the floor centers around south korean taboo concerning relationships .
- Dating Taboos: An older female dating a younger male is considered scandalous.
- Familial Taboos: People who grow up without parents or present parental figures are considered “unfit” for marriage.
- Job Taboos: People should only associate with people who are of a certain educational background, occupational position, or wealthy class status.
- Career Taboos: Women are expected to go out and be flirtatious during team dinners to show they value “team unity”.
- Drinking Taboos: It is customary to pour your colleague’s glass first before and vice versa. If you pour for yourself, it indicates a fractured relationship.
- Food Taboos: Usually if an older woman buys a younger male food frequently, it’s because of a brother-sister relationship.
form [edit ]
main [edit ]
- Son Ye-jin as Yoon Jin-ah, a single woman age 35[a] who works as a store supervisor in a coffee franchise. Despite being an easygoing person, she lives a rather hollow life. After being dumped by her boyfriend, she suddenly develops romantic feelings towards her best friend’s younger brother Joon-hee.
- Jung Hae-in as Seo Joon-hee, Kyung-seon’s younger brother age 31[a] who is a character animation designer at a computer video game company. He has returned to the country from his work in the USA after three years. While getting reacquainted with his older sister’s best friend Jin-ah, he protects her a couple times and falls in love with her.
- Jang So-yeon as Seo Kyung-seon, Joon-hee’s older sister age 35[a] and Jin-ah’s best friend who runs a coffee shop.
Supporting [edit ]
Employees at Coffee Bay [edit ]
Yoon Jin-ah ‘s family [edit ]
Others [edit ]
special appearances [edit ]
production [edit ]
The beginning script read of the cast was held on January 25, 2018, at JTBC construction in Sangam-dong. [ 15 ] As a solution of the play ‘s commercial success, a three-day reward vacation to Japan was awarded to the cast and the crew which was scheduled from May 29–31, 2018. [ 16 ] [ 17 ]
master soundtrack [edit ]
|Something in the Rain OST|
|Soundtrack album by diverse artists|
“ Stand by Your Man “ sung by Carla Bruni, and “ Save the end dancing for Me “ by Bruce Willis are played frequently in the series .
character 1 [edit ]
|1.||“Something in the Rain”||Rachael Yamagata||Lee Nam-yeon
part 2 [edit ]
|1.||“La La La”||Lee Nam-yeon
Ratings [edit ]
Something in the Rain : South Korea viewers per episode (millions)
Source: Audience measurement performed nationwide by  Audience measurement performed countrywide by Nielsen Media Research
|Ep.||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|1||March 30, 2018||4.008%||4.239%||3.8%|
|2||March 31, 2018||3.752%||4.177%||4.8%|
|3||April 6, 2018||4.222%||4.621%||4.4%|
|4||April 7, 2018||4.756%||5.434%||5.9%|
|5||April 13, 2018||5.134%||6.001%||5.4%|
|6||April 14, 2018||6.187%||7.069%||6.5%|
|7||April 20, 2018||5.322%||6.202%||6.4%|
|8||April 21, 2018||5.499%||5.936%||5.7%|
|9||April 27, 2018||6.177%||6.769%||5.9%|
|10||April 28, 2018||5.757%||6.713%||6.6%|
|11||May 4, 2018||5.637%||7.018%||5.9%|
|12||May 5, 2018||5.520%||6.320%||6.1%|
|13||May 11, 2018||5.564%||6.598%||5.4%|
|14||May 12, 2018||7.281%||8.313%||6.3%|
|15||May 18, 2018||5.883%||6.486%||5.7%|
|16||May 19, 2018||6.787%||7.661%||7.1%|
Awards and nominations [edit ]
Remake [edit ]
In February 2022, it was confirmed that Something in the Rain is set for an indian remake. [ 29 ]
On March 3, 2022, it was announced that iQIYI will release a chinese remake of the series in May 2022. The platform besides gained the rights to entirely air the prove in China, marking it the first base confederacy korean television read to be approved for streaming in the country since the Korean message bachelor of arts in nursing. [ 30 ]