Close up of someone scrubbing a driveway wearing a glove
credit : wattanaphob/Getty Images
Must-Know Tips Before You Get Started
An oil leak or spillway is debatable not only for your fomite, but it can besides be a headache for your driveway. Those drips and splotches make for unsightly blemishes that take away from the beauty of your family and yard. Removing oil stains from a driveway starts with choosing the right houseclean solution. A kind of family supplies can be used to clean vegetable oil spills. however, you might need to call on a more mighty clean specially formulated to clean driveways or concrete. For driveways on an slope, start at the highest point and work your way down thus any dirty urine and residue does n’t flow over portions you ‘ve already cleaned. Keep an eye out for plants and landscaping when using cleaners. Some cleaners provide instructions for protecting plants from overflow and errant sprays. The manufacturer might recommend saturating the encompassing plants, supergrass and vegetation with water before using the cleansing agent.
Remember: Oil is flammable. Be diligent with cleaning up spills, and safely discard any materials that have been in contact with the vegetable oil .
How to Use Household Products to Remove Oil Stains from a Driveway
Common family products such as cat litter ( $ 10, Amazon ), baking sodium carbonate, dish soap ( $ 4, Target ), and even laundry detergent are prime tools for tackling oil stains. here ‘s how to use family supplies get rid of oil stains on a driveway.
- Absorb Excess Oil: Start by absorbing any oil sitting on the surface of the driveway. The ultra-absorbent properties of cat litter make it an ideal material for this task. Sprinkle cat litter over a fresh stain and let the cat litter absorb the oil. Scoop away and dispose of the cat litter. Rinse off any remaining residue with water.
- Scrub Stain: Once the cat litter has absorbed any excess oil, give the stain a good scrubbing with a paste of baking soda and water, then rinse with clean water. Baking soda is a mild alkali that’s effective at dissolving dirt and grease.
- Lather and Rinse: Formulated to cut grease, dish soap is another effective solution for treating oil stains on a driveway. Squirt some dish soap onto the oil stain. Scrub the stain with a heavy-duty brush. Then rinse away the soap with water. Repeat the process until the oil stain fades.
Keep in heed that baffling driveway materials like concrete and asphalt can withstand heavy scrub. Do n’t shy away from using a small elbow grease and a heavy-duty brush to remove the petroleum stains .
How to Clean Oil Off a Driveway with Laundry Detergent
If you have powdered laundry detergent ( $ 14, Target ) on hand, try this method for treating oil stains on a driveway .
- Apply Detergent: Sprinkle powdered laundry detergent over the oil spill. Carefully apply enough warm water over the laundry detergent to form a paste.
- Scrub Stain: Scrub the spot with a stiff nylon brush for approximately two minutes, then let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Rinse: Scrub the spot for one additional minute, then rinse away the laundry detergent with clean, warm water.
Best Tools and Cleaning Products for Removing Driveway Oil Stains
rugged or old anoint stains might require something a little more potent than dish soap or laundry detergent. Hardware stores, big-box home improvement retailers, and even car shops carry a variety of cleaners designed to treat vegetable oil stains. Some concrete cleaners and oil stain removers ( $ 10, The Home Depot ) are formulated to be diluted before lotion, but can besides be used neat for difficult stains. Follow the manufacturer ‘s instructions for proper use.
power wash is another method acting for cleaning anoint stains on a driveway. If you do n’t own a office washer, check your local hardware memory or home improvement retailer for rental options. Use a concrete and driveway uninfected ( $ 10, Walmart ) formulated for use with a pressure washer. Follow the manufacturer ‘s instructions to ensure the best results. A dependable deck cancel brush ( $ 6, The Home Depot ) is besides a must-have for clean stains on a concrete driveway. tire employment gloves to protect your hands as you scrub to avoid scraping your knuckles on the concrete. You should besides wear proper safety gear, according to the product ‘s instructions .