When choosing the right solution for you, consider advice from an center caution professional, what kind of contacts you use, and your personal have with certain ingredients. We compiled this list to help get you started on selecting the best touch solution for your individual needs .
What ingredients are in contact lens solution?
The ingredients in your contact lens solution determine what the solution is actually able to do. Some of these ingredients can trigger allergies or other side effects, so it ’ randomness constantly good to take a closer count at the tag before buying. Some common ingredients in contact lens solutions include :
- polyquaternium, a preservative that breaks up pathogens and proteins
- boric acid, which has antibiotic properties and is added to clean and soothe irritated eyes
- propylene glycol, which forms a layer over the mucous membrane to relieve eye inflammation
- hydrogen peroxide, a disinfectant
- polyaminopropyl biguanide, a preservative that disinfects and cleans the surface of contact lenses
- saline, a mixture of sodium chloride and water that stabilizes the other ingredients and keeps contacts hygienic
How we chose
- Clinical trials. We read clinical trials that compared the efficacy and ingredients of different types of contact lens solution.
- Pricing. Contact lens solution doesn’t vary in price by a lot, but we still worked to make sure that this list included some lower- and higher-priced options.
- Convenience. The contact lens solution that you choose won’t do much good if you can’t get it easily or quickly. We tried to highlight options that you can get from your local pharmacy or grocery store.
contact lens solution typically costs between $ 6 and $ 20 for a 12-ounce bottle. The products mentioned in this article change in size and are priced as follows :
- $ = under $11
- $$ = $11–$15
- $$$ = over $15
What does contact lens solution actually do?
If you use any type of disposable, intemperate, or hybrid contact lenses, chances are that contact lens solution has been a anchor of your bathroom counter for some time now. contact lens solution is what enables your contacts to last past a unmarried habit. By cleaning off proteins and pathogens that collect on the airfoil of your lenses, the solution cleans or disinfects them for the future wear.
evening if you wear day by day disposable contacts, you likely use reach lens solution to rehydrate your lenses when they ’ rhenium dry or to remove any dust or soil .
How to shop for contact lens solution
When you ’ rhenium denounce for contact lens solution, talk with an eye caution professional. They can advise you on which solution will work well with your contact lenses. If you ’ re concerned about the price or certain ingredients, be sure to mention that besides. You ’ ll besides want to consider how often you ’ rhenium bribe solution and where you ’ re buy from. You can save some money if you buy in majority, or you can opt for a subscription that delivers the solution to your door on a monthly or bimonthly basis. last, read the ingredients label of any solution that you ’ re thinking about buy. If you ’ ve had an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients in the by, consider a different solution .
There international relations and security network ’ t a wide variety of contact lens solutions on the market. Most of them fall into the lapp basic categories, have common ingredients, and are priced similarly. When you ’ rhenium looking for a reach lens solution, talk with an eye care master about what product will work best with your type of contacts. If you have an allergic reaction to any ingredients, a hesitation about preservatives, or any other reason you might want to switch contact lens solution, you can constantly run it by an center care professional.
Kathryn Watson is a freelance writer covering everything from sleep hygiene to moral philosophy. Her holocene bylines include Healthline, Christianity Today, LitHub, and Curbed. She lives in New York City with her husband and two children, and her web site is kathrynswatson.com .